New York City is the most dynamic and historic place to be when you are planning your wedding. With thousands of possible venues for weddings, incredibly talented photographers, florists, and musicians, the task of planning your dream New York wedding sounds like a daunting task! Let us ease your mind as we break down the most important things to think about when planning your 2024 New York Wedding.
Organizing Your Vision (within budget)
Obviously, it is super important to determine a budget with your partner and then work within that budget to create your special day. But remember, it is your special day!! Don’t compromise on things that are important to you and use your planner to push back if necessary. Before you hire anyone – planner, caterer, florals, venue, photographer – you need to organize your thoughts, wants, and needs. Use the following points as a starting ground for how to go about this:
- Determine your non-negotiables and goals with your partner. Sit down and have the conversation about season, colors, music style, etc.
- Pull inspiration from Instagram, Pinterest, the Knot, Zola, magazines, wedding blogs.
- STOP scrolling, because at a certain time you can drive yourself crazy! Take a moment and sit on the images, vendors, or designs you are drawn to.
- Organize your inspiration into a Pinterest board or google folder, with everything from floral arrangements to dress design to seating chart.
There are tons of free-download worksheets, blogs, and outlets to help get your brain on the right track. Take advantage of everything you can and don’t forget to always keep your partner included in this process from the beginning so nothing goes unnoticed or forgotten.
Venue Hunting Tips
There are quite literally hundreds upon hundreds of venues within the New York City area, so the first thing you need to do is narrow in on what you want out of your venue. The best way to think about this is in different areas of the day and then that will narrow down what you are looking for in a venue. Answer the following questions and you will get such a better sense of what you want in a venue:
- Would you like an outdoor component to the day?
- Do you want that outdoor component to be overlooking the skyline, or a secluded area of the city?
- Do you like the more rustic or clean vibe?
- Is good food important to you? Because if so, you may want to look into an iconic restaurant or blank venue that allows outside catering.
- Rank the following areas from most liked to least liked: Manhattan proper, Brooklyn, Hoboken, Queens, Long Island City, Jersey City, Upstate NY.
- Do you want the space to speak for itself, or would you rather decorate a blank space to your exact vision?
- What is your guest count? This will knock off at least half of venues from your search.
Once your venue is locked in, everything else will follow with ease.
Finding The Best Photographer
After finding a venue, arguably the next most important aspect of the day is finding a photographer. You want to make sure that you find the right person who will capture all the memories and emotions of your big day in a beautiful and meaningful way. If you’re getting married in New York City in 2024, there are many talented photographers to choose from. You should consider factors such as their portfolio, style (light versus dark), experience, and client reviews before making your final decision. Make sure to take the time to research different photographers so that you can find the perfect one for your wedding.
Finding the Best Planner
Look no further! If you are reading this blog, you have found the best planners in the game! In all seriousness, you need to vibe with your planner as if they are your best friend because for the next year or so, they will be your most called and texted person. Looking up planners on the Knot and Party Slate are great places to start your search. Asking your already married friends is also a great way to start, because they can tell you the aspects of their day, they wish they had a planner for and what they experienced first-hand. There is also the option of full-service wedding planning as opposed to partial or day of planning. Think about your priorities as a couple, and hire a planner based on their best offerings. Do not forget to ALWAYS read the reviews before you hire anyone, especially your planner, because this will give you the real-life experiences and not just their highlight reel. 2024 couples, it’s time to hop on the planning train as soon as possible!
Check out our website to learn about our wedding planning services!